Monday, October 18, 2010

Brobee Crochet Hat free pattern


This is the first pattern I've written completely on my own.

WARNING: I crochet very tightly, so you may need to use a different hook size to get the size hat you want. In my case this is for a 1 - 3 year old.

Materials:
"I love this yarn" 7oz/198g/355yd 100% acrylic
MC Limelight
CC Jelly Bean
small amount of white, black and red
H hook

Used 2 strands for hat, 1 strand for eyes/mouth/brow/hair

Ch 4, join sl to form ring
1) Ch3, dc 7 times into center of ring, join  with sl to ch3
2) Ch 3, dc in same, 2 dc in each st around, join ...
3 & 4)Ch 2, dc in same, (dc in nt st, 2 dc in nt) around, join...
5) Ch 2, dc in same and nt 4 st, 2 dc in nt st, (dc in nt 2, 2 dc in nt) around, join...
6) Ch 2, dc in same, (dc in nt 6 sts, 2 dc in nt st) around, join...(or increasing until measures  6 inches)
7 - 12) Ch 2, dc in each st around, join... (or until hat height measures 6.5in)
13) change to CC, Ch 2, dc in each st around
14 & 15) Ch 2, dc in each st around, fasten

Eyes(Make 2)
With white, ch 4
Rnd 1:  Sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next ch, 4 sc in last sc, working in free loops of foundation ch, sc in next free loop, 4 sc in last free loop, 11 sc
Rnd 2:  *2 sc in next sc, 1 sc in next sc, repeat from * around, to last st, sc in last st, 16 sc
Rnd 3:  *2 sc in next sc, 1 sc in next sc, repeat from * around, 24 sc, sl st in next st, finish off leaving an 18” for sewing to hat
with blk for center, ch 25 sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in 1st sc and sl in 2nd fasten off, sew to white eye

Unibrow
black
ch 20, sc 2nd ch from hook, sc across. fasten off sew to hat above eyes

Mouth
black
ch 20, sc in 2nd ch and each ch across, switch to red, 3 sc in same st, sc in each free loop, 4 sc in lst loop, sc in each previous sc, sc in first red sc and sl st in next st, fasten off, sew to hat below eyes

Triangle hair (make 3)
with red, ch 10. sc om 2nd ch from hook, sc across, turn
row 1) sl st in 1st sc, ch 1, sc across leaving last st unworked, turn
2) sl st in 1st sc, ch 1, sc across leaving last st unworked, turn
continue until only 3, then sl into middle st, fasten.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. My son is a yo gabba gabba fanatic. I can't wait to start this project. What the circumference on your hat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaydee, I didn't write down measurements of that type, I only did length since most of the hats stretch to the size of the head. My 3 year old tried on the hat and it was still long enough to fold up the edges...I tried on the hat and it was a little short but fit around the head.
    Please let me know how this pattern turns out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this tutorial. My son's hat is just adorable. His face was priceless when he saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany, I am making this hat now but I am confused about the instructions for the eyes. For the black you said chain 25, is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. My youngest grand daughter is a Yo gabba gabba freak and this will be a perfect christmas gift for her. :) Thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete